Help Line: (800) 688-8349, (919) 716-1700, or
Fraud and Insurance Compliance Hotline: (888) 891-4895 or

For Employers

Information For Employers

Employers Responsibilities

Employer’s Obligation to Carry Workers Compensation Insurance

For information regarding workers’ compensation insurance requirements, please see the links below for educational PRESENTATIONS in English and Spanish.

Employer's Duties When a Worker is Injured

An employer must immediately report to its Workers’ Compensation insurance carrier any injury or occupational disease, or allegation by an employee of an injury or occupational disease, sustained in the course of employment for which the attention of a physician is needed or actually sought.

If an injury or alleged injury causes the employee to be absent from work for more than one day, or the employee’s medical expenses are greater than $4000.00, the employer or carrier must file with the Industrial Commission a Form 19 “Employer’s Report of Employee’s Injury to the Industrial Commission” within five days of learning of the injury or allegation.

If a Form 19 is filed with the Industrial Commission, the employer or carrier must provide a copy of the Form 19 to the employee, together with a blank Form 18 “Notice of Accident to Employer and Claim of Employee” for use by the employee.

Please see the forms section below for the relevant forms.

See Rule 104 of the Workers’ Compensation Rules of the North Carolina Industrial Commission

Educational Presentations

Understanding Your Workers' Compensation Obligations

Click below to view PDF versions of two PowerPoint presentations on the employer's obligations regarding workers' compensation insurance coverage:

In English:

En Español:

Workers' Compensation Forms

All Employers or Carriers MUST file a Form 19 “Employer’s Report of Employee’s Injury to the Industrial Commission” within five days of learning of any injury or allegation of an injury. Employers should use the following form.

Form 19

This is the first report of injury (FROI) that an employer submits when an employee has a claim. Effective June 1, 2014, all first reports of injury (FROI) for injuries occurring after April 1, 1997 must be filed electronically via EDI unless they qualify for one of two exceptions. The only exceptions to electronic filing of FROI's are claims (1) in which a Form 18 was previously filed and a six-character alphanumeric number has already been assigned, or (2) for an occupational disease in which a Form 18B has already been filed.

If the claim meets one of the two exceptions listed above, use the Standard Form 19 with Instructions below.

Standard Form 19 with Instructions

If the claim meets one of the exceptions outlined above, this PDF version of the Form 19 may be completed and filed via EDFP on the NCIC Online Services Center. A non-insured employer without representation may file the Form 19 using any method described on the form.

Standard Form 18 with Instructions

A blank Form 18 should be provided to the injured worker with a copy of the Form 19. The filing instructions are at the bottom of the form. An injured worker may also file an Electronic Form 18 instead of filing a paper form.

Additional Forms

Please click here to visit the Forms page for a complete listing of all the available
NC Industrial Commission Forms

Employees That Have Been Injured At Work

The NC Industrial Commission provides the following instructions to employees that have been injured in the course of their jobs. In the event one of your employees becomes injured, please familiarize yourself with the following procedures and be ready to assist your employee(s).

Employees' First Steps

FIRST - Seek out appropriate medical treatment.

Your employer may have a health care provider on your work site and if consistent with your employer’s instructions present yourself to that health provider if appropriate.

If you do not have access to an on-site health provider, your employer may have instructed you to present yourself to a designated health care office in case of work related injuries. If appropriate to the seriousness of your injury, report to that facility.

If there is no employer onsite or designated off-site health care provider, seek medical care appropriate to your medical needs. Depending on your circumstances, appropriate health care may be obtained from your family doctor or a hospital emergency room.


Tell your health care provider that your injury is related to your work and the name of your employer. This information allows the health care provider to bill treatment as a workers’ compensation claim.


As soon as possible, inform an appropriate manager of your employer or the owner of your company that you have experienced a work related accident. If you can personally report your injury, do so. If you are unable to report your injury because of your medical condition, have a family member, friend or health care provider notify your employer of the injury as soon as possible.


As soon as practical after the accident, and within thirty days, give written notice to your employer. A simple written statement giving the date of the accident and a brief description of the injury is all that is necessary. If you cannot write the letter, have a friend or family member write it for you and send it to the employer. Keep a copy of the letter for your records.


Follow your physician’s instructions for medical treatment. The goal of the Workers’ Compensation System in North Carolina is to ensure that you get good health care to restore you as nearly as possible to the health and ability to work that you had prior to your injury.

Following these five simple steps will ensure that your injury is properly reported, you receive appropriate health care quickly and that your employer can initiate workers’ compensation medical benefits.